Many dropshippers use descriptions from product pages of their suppliers like the ones on AliExpress. It is an easy thing to do, you just copy and paste, but is it the right way?
It depends on the way you want to lead your dropshipping business – if you don’t want to invest your time, of course using the already made description is for you! If you, on the other hand, want to do business, you should consider writing your own description.
What is the product description?
It is the text featured on your product page that tells the customer more about the product. Especially information that isn’t provided on the picture (like size guide or specifications). Note that you don’t always need a description. Some products work well without any. To know if your shop is such a case you should do a split test.
Product description should feature all important information about products like size guide, specifications for electronics, materials, allergens if they exist or highlighting that they don’t have any. You can also use it to write a good copy that will sell your product.
Downsides of copying description?
- SEO disaster – Google and other browsers don’t favour duplicates, but push the original content. Additionally, many descriptions on AliExpress are not that well written missing some important keywords that increase your chance to rate high on a search page
- Missing information – if you dropship from AliExpress you have most certainly run into a description that features a bunch of numbers that have no value to the customer, because the majority of these are written for resellers and not for customers. On the other hand it lacks a lot of information that is important for customers
- Lack of uniformity – Your descriptions might look all over the place if you are ordering products from various suppliers. That doesn’t look good visually and it’s irritating for a customer if your descriptions aren’t consistent.
How to write a description?
First thing to remember is that not all formats go well will all niches or all stores for that matter. You have to try and test and change and adapt until you find the right fit.
- Gather information – first place to find information is of course the product page of your supplier. There you should highlight information valuable to the customer and leave out those that aren’t. If you feel like you’re missing some information you can contact your supplier for further notice.
- Choose a style – you can visit your competitors’ products pages to seek for some inspiration on what styles and what information you should opt for. Remember, don’t just copy their ideas because that makes no difference from just copying description from AliExpress.
- Make it scannable – so many times your customers won’t have enough time to go through the whole thing. They need quick information that can be easily read. Use bullet points, bigger spacing, more paragraphs etc. to make it easier to read
- Test it – just because something works for someone it doesn’t have to work for you and vice versa. Do split testing, a simple A/B test that reflects usage experience.
- Write a copy – you can go one step further with promoting and selling your product to customers directly from your description. Highlight some of the benefits of the product. Give a tip on how to use it. Tell your customers how much better their life will be if they buy your product. This should also be split tested.
- Stick to one format – this of course applies after you have found the right one. Write all your descriptions in the same fashion, with bullet points, or long paragraphs it doesn’t matter, just stay consistent. Anyway, sometimes you will have to step a bit away from your format if you sell various kinds of products. For example if you have both clothing and accessories, you will have to add a size chart to one and to to another
This is all you need to know before writing your product descriptions. Everything else is up to you. Test, experiment and try to make the best out of your shop. Now that your description is covered, try Reviify, an app that imports reviews from AliExpress for you, without ruining your shop’s style! That way your social proof is also generating more conversion.